FY 2013-2014 ACQUISITIONS
Linked here is a list of titles ordered and received from 6/1/13 to present.
NEW ACQUISITIONS FY 13-14 FINAL (open in Google Docs)
These are titles that have been ordered on the following funds: culture & communication, video funds, ebooks, journalism, legal studies, IMC, CMD & TVR. Please be sure to check the catalog for location and status (to see if it is not checked out). New Books might be on the new books shelf as you enter the library, in the stacks, checked out, or at the binders.
THANKS FOR WORKING WITH ME!!! YOU’LL BE MISSED
Congratulations to Wenmouth Williams and Beth Harris on their retirement. I really enjoyed working with both of you!
ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS ADDED
These books should come on an annual basis in the future:
- The Associated Press Stylebook
- Thumbnail Media Planner
DO YOU NEED AN ONLINE RESEARCH GUIDE TO SUPPORT YOUR CLASS?
Reference librarians automatically create Research Guides for ICSM classes. If you would like me to create one to support your class just let me know. Send along a syllabus and I’ll pull resources from that as well. Take a look at the Research Guides I’ve already created.
RENOVATION OF LIBRARY CLASSROOM 319
This summer the library’s electronic classroom 319 will be renovated. It will be able to accommodate a maximum of 30 students in work stations. I’m looking forward to having a better digital classroom for instruction. Some of us will visit a similar classroom at Buffalo State in June (ours is not SteelCase).
IC LIBRARY ADDS CAFE
We’ve extended hours for our library cafe which is on the back of the 2nd floor of Gannett (1st floor of the library). The Director has been posting hours to our “Talk Back” page.
FY 2014-2015 ORDERS
Recommend a book or video purchase by emailing me. Here is a list of potential titles for purchase; I can create one on a particular subject for you, too. Remember that our collection development policy stipulates that we do not purchase core texts assigned for classes. Also, many more books are available in digital format; let me know if you prefer an e-book format. If you’ve published a book or chapter I would be interested in purchasing it for our collection. Funds will be available the week of June 1st.
Serial subscription changes: Melcrum’s Strategic Communication management is now available for free on their website: https://www.melcrum.com/SCM
Note: Subscriptions can be purchased by: dropping other subscriptions or using departmental library book funds. If the money is removed from book funds, the book allotment is permanently reduced by the subscription amount.
ICSM Fall 2014
If you’re teaching an Ithaca Seminar in Fall 2014, I would like the opportunity to present library basic skills to the first year students based on an online library research guide you can link to in Sakai. Thanks for those who invited me to their seminars in Fall 2013.
LIBRARY INSTRUCTION / RESEARCH CONSULTATIONS
Thanks for referring students to me for Research Consultations! This was a pleasantly busy Spring for consultations. I’m always open to visiting classes this Summer or Fall. Let me know if you’d like a library research guide designed for your class or event.
- Access to Dissertations & Theses Global (ProQuest) has been set up. This full text database is available via the catalog and on the A-Z databases list of the library’s homepage: http://ithacalibrary.com/articles/databases.php?letter=D The subscription to this resource replaces the subscription to ProQuest Dissertations & Theses A & I, the version of the database that only provides abstracts and indexing. The subscription to the A & I database ends June 30, 2014. Until that time, we will have access to both databases.
- We dropped MRI+ last Spring due to an issue with the license agreement. We now have 5 users to Simmons.
- Oxford Reference Online has been cancelled. Reference librarians used the money to pick up online reference titles; the following have been added:
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome (ORO)
- Business Plans Handbook (GVRL)
- Oxford Encyclopedia of American Cultural and Intellectual History (ORO)
- Encyclopedia of Educational Psychology (GVRL)
- Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition (3rd ed) (Elsevier on ebrary) – SUPO
- Oxford History of Western Music (ORO) – Unlimited SU
- Business of Entertainment (Praeger on ebrary) SUPO
- Encyclopedia of Archaeology (Elsevier on GVRL)
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Film Theory (ebrary) 3SU
- Oxford Companion to English Literature (ORO)
- Oxford handbook of management theorists – (ORO)
- Oxford companion to United States history (ORO)
- Oxford encyclopedia of American business labor and economic history (ORO)
SAKAI AND LIBRARY RESERVES (by Ben Hogben)
Hopefully the library Course Reserve System in Sakai worked well for you this semester. You can send any feedback to me and I’ll share it with our Access Services. For questions on placing items on reserve through Sakai, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for print items, or email@example.com for digital audio/video items.
LIBRARY LISTS of videos for your students
I’ve created a list in order of director to help students explore particular directors. Many of these are international classics. Take a look: Prof. Sinclair Recommends. I’m happy to create a video list catered for your class, too. Using the social media app Pinboard, I can create a separate library page or insert an RSS of videos on a research guide.
CATHY: ON VACATION late May; AT CONFERENCE late June
I’ll be on vacation the week of May 19th to May 30th. I’ll be at the American Library Association conference from June 26th to July 1st (Las Vegas); Jane McGonigal (game design) will be the Opening Speaker. Other than that, I’ll be in the library. You can check to see when the library is open in the summer by using our calendar. If you need help while I’m away, try our Ask a Librarian page.
Enjoy your Summer!